|Your Visit||About the Museum||Collection||Special Events||News||Groups & Parties||Get Involved|
Historical Fire Apparatus Account
In service at Brainard Field, Hartford, CT. in the 1980's.
Photo courtesy Mark Redman
Pratt & Whitney Aircraft Fire Department drilling with the 1942 GMC-Sealand crash truck.
Line up of the fire apparatus at the Pratt & Whitney East Hartford plant in the 1950's.
At the Warehouse Point fireman's parade in the 1990's.
1942 GMC crash truck at Skylark Airport with a 1943 Stearman monoplane. Plane has a Pratt & Whitney "Wasp" radial engine built in East Hartford, CT where the GMC served.
Open House at Skylark Airport October 2000. Skylark is our neighbor in East Windsor.
This truck was built by the Sealand Corp. Bridgeport, CT in 1942 for Pratt & Whitney Aircraft Corp. for their East Hartford plant. This was an early version of an airport crash truck. It carried 900 of dry powder for aircraft type fires. It served the P&WA plant until 1985. At that time Hartford closed Engine Co. 6 which was the fire station closest to Brainard Field. Company 6 had a 1948 American LaFrance 700 Series crash truck that provided fire protection for the airport. When the station closed the airport no longer had fire protection, United Aircraft (parent company of P&WA) donated the 1942 GMC to the state for use at the field. In 1990 the state purchased a new 1990 Ford crash truck to replace the GMC. Shortly there after the state approached the fire museum to see if they were interested in obtaining the vehicle. This is a very historic piece of fire apparatus being an early example of airport fire protection.
1948 American LaFrance of CO. 6 that covered Hartford's Brainard Field mentioned in the above article.
This engine is presently owned by a Canton, CT. collector...
* Built on a 1942 chasis but delivered in 1943
Story and photos courtesy of Bert Johanson
Copyright 2017 Connecticut Electric Railway Association, Inc. All rights reserved.