Restoration Shop Technician
Location: 58 North Road, East Windsor, Connecticut
Staff Type: Paid
Job Type: Part-Time, Regular
Department: Car Shop
Reports To: Restoration Manager, Shop Manager
The Connecticut Trolley Museum's Restoration Shop Technician is a part-time position 1-2 days a week (including Saturday). This position has the overall responsibility of supporting all work related to restoration projects as well as supporting ongoing maintenance for the operating fleet. This position works closely with the Restoration & Shop Manager to work towards restoration project goals, timelines and action plans.
- Safety: Maintain safe operations by adhering to safety procedures and regulations.
- Restoration Work: Assisting in the restoration, conservation and maintenance of electric rail vehicles as directed. Achieve self-directed, high quality of research and craftsmanship while focusing on small details. Restoration shop tasks can involve a variety of tasks, which may include:
- Cabinet-grade woodworking.
- Installing glass and other glazing materials.
- Upholstery repair and finishing.
- Wiring simple circuits.
- Component overhaul and assembly.
- Oxy-acetylene cutting.
- Disassembly and reassembly of trucks, motors and other heavy items.
- Volunteer Management: Work alongside volunteers assisting with restoration projects and fleet maintenance. Cultivate and steward volunteer relationships.
- Assist in the re-railing of derailed rail vehicles.
- Other tasks as may be appropriate to a railway shop environment.
- Other tasks as assigned by the Restoration Shop Manager, Executive Director and/or President/CEO.
- A strong work ethic and safety-oriented.
- Proven experience in meeting deadlines, written and verbal communication, and record-keeping.
- Ability to work with non-automated machinery at a self-directed pace with limited supervision.
- Self-directed & resourceful
- Ability to problem solve through complex challenges and situations.
- An interest in historic preservation and 'old' mechanical and transportation objects.
- Be available to work on Saturdays
- Receives supervision from the Restoration & Shop Manager
- Contact with Museum employees, volunteers and management
- Contact with visitors and outside vendors
- Ability of lifting heavy objects up to 50 lbs. required. Ability to stand for long periods of time and to work in a covered, non-heated and non-cooled environment, year-round.