1929 Ahrens Fox

Pumper and Hose Car

 

 

 

 

The Ahrens Fox Fire Engine Company of Cincinnati, Ohio delivered this 750 gpm pumper to Auburn, Maine May 22, 1929.  One of five Ahrens Fox apparatus operated by Auburn this model MX2X, serial number 1766, served until the 1960's when it was stored outside for a number of years. In 1972 it was traded to Farrar Company toward the purchase of a new pumper. Equipped with the famous piston pump and the large air chamber which became the hallmark of Ahrens-Fox pumpers until the last one was built in 1951.

 

In 1973 three fire museum members purchased the truck from the Farrar Company and over a 10 year period the truck was restored by the museum staff. This truck is fully operation today.

 

Equipped with a 90 gallon booster tank, the truck carries 1200' of 2 1/2" hose, 24 ft extension and 14 ft roof ladders and assorted tools such as axes, pipe poles, rope and extinguishers.

 

The Ahrens-Fox  6 cylinder 864ci engine still runs as good as it did when it left the factory 87 years ago!

 

The Auburn Fire Department still maintains another Ahrens-Fox a 1933 Model MD4 as a historical vehicle.

 

 

Story and photos courtesy of Bert Johanson   

  

 

Connecticut Electric Railway Association, Inc. Copyright 2017 Connecticut Electric Railway Association, Inc. All rights reserved.