In 1926 Mack introduced a new series of fire apparatus built on the "Bulldog" chasis having the AP six cylinder, 150 horse power engine and pump capacities of 750 to 1000 gallons per minute. The AP engine was normally used in the rail passenger vehicles Mack manufactued at the time, but they also used them in larger fire apparatus. The "AP" fire engine had four wheel brakes with a vacuum booster for faster and more powerful braking ability.
With the powerful Mack engine, four speed transmission with chain drive, ballon tires and power brakes the "AP" fire engine had all the features desired by big city fire departments in the 1920's. The "AP" pumper was later called the type 15. Built at the International Motor Company (parent of Mack trucks) plant in Allenntown, PA this apparatus was was the subkect of a photo essay on the new fire trucks at Mack. From December 1926 to September 1938 Mack produced 285 "AP" trucks 200 of which were used for fire apparatus.
The museum's 1927 Mack has a Hale 1000 gpm rotary gear pump and a 150 gallon booster tank (large for the era). It was built on the Mack 7.5 ton frame with a gross vehicle weight of 21,000 lbs. In 1927 Willimantic purchased two AP fire apparatus from Mack, a 1000gpm pumper and a 75' tiller aerial truck. The pumper served as their engine 1 until it was retired in 1954.
The notable accomplishemt for this piece was durign the 1938 hurricane that struck the Northeast. The Willimatic water works was severely damaged and out of operation; during this time Mack was pressed into service to proived the city with water and did so for 7 days straight.
Shortly there after the truck was sold for $1.00 to the newly formed Willington Hill Fire Department in Willington, CT. and was their first piece of apparatus. The Mack served Willington Hill until it was again retired in 1956 when the department purchased a new pumper on a Ford chassis.
The truck had two more owners before it was purchased from the Somerville Mfg. Company of Somers, CT in 1968. The mill had purchased the truck for their in-house fire department, however in 1968 the owners of the mill closed the facility and no longer had use for the Mack.
After purchasing the truck in October of 1968 from a Sprigfield, MA fire apparatus dealer the museum staff spent about a year restoring the truck to what it looks like today.