Originally built by the Seagrave Company for Springfield, MA to serve as Ladder 3 in 1934 to replace a 1914 Knox tractor that had pulled the 1929 aerial ladder trailer.
In 1914 Springfield motorized a number of horse drawn ladder trucks by placing Knox trucks under the trailer. Knox trucks were built in Springfield and were used in many cities for similar conversions. In 1929 the former horse drawn trailer was worn out and replaced by the current trailer also from Seagrave. Springfield was an exclusive "Seagrave" city when purchasing fire apparatus.
The piece served until 1973, finally as Ladder 13 then a spare when it was purchased by a member of the museum who subsquoently donated it.