Location: 58 North Road, East Windsor, Connecticut
Staff Type: Volunteer
Job Type: Part-Time, Regular
Department: Railway Operations
Reports To: Operations Manager, Chief Motorman
Learn how to run a historic trolley car and provide rides to our visitors over our demonstration railway following the route of the Hartford & Springfield Street Railway's Rockville Branch. Share the history of our collection and the impact of trolleys in society with our guests. The railway is operated weekends in the spring, fall, and winter and Tuesday-Sunday through the summer.
No prior railway experience is necessary. Training (classroom and on-the-job) is provided by the Connecticut Trolley Museum. Training classes are typically held in the spring.
All applicants are subject to an interview and/or a background check.
- Adhere to Connecticut Trolley Museum policies and procedures while facilitating a safe, positive, and engaging experience for museum visitors during regular visitation, public programming, and private events.
- All Motormen are responsible for the duties of their crew, safe and efficient operation of the equipment, passenger safety of all guests and the public while visting the museum.
- Perform and document railway equipment inspections to assure satisfactory and safe performance of the historic trolley fleet.
- Perform a line check, inspecting the railway prior to daily public operations.
- Operate historic trolley cars in a safe manner on the museum's railway.
- Motormen (Age 18+) operate railway equipment for museum guests.
- Junior Motormen (Age 16-18) operate railway equipment without guests aboard.
- Obey the direction and orders of the Conductor.
- Perform the duties of a Conductor
- Communicate instructions from the Dispatcher to the Motorman.
- Ensure the movement, safety and proper care of their respective trolley is in strict accordance with the rules, special instructions and train orders.
- Examine all tickets and see that each passenger has a ticket, or any form of paid admittance being used at the time.
- Perform the duties of a Museum Docent
- Facilitate visitor engagement, connecting visitors to the Connecticut Trolley Museum's collections and encouraging visitors to explore and discover.
- Provide formal and informal interactive learning opportunities that create meaning and relevance to audiences of all ages.
- Volunteers must ensure their hours of service are recorded.
- Minimum Age: 18 Years Old
- Hold a valid drivers license.
- Junior Motorman:
- Ability to communicate effectively and articulately
- Minimum Commitment: Two days a month
- Must pass a certification test for rules and safety. Recertification occurs annually.
- Be or become a member of the Connecticut Electric Railway Association, Inc.
- Receives supervision from Railway Operations Manager, Chief Motorman
- Contact with Museum employees, volunteers and management.
- Contact with visitors.
- Frequent stepping on and off historic railway equipment and occasional walking on uneven surfaces in all types of weather.